Thai curry soup with tofu is the perfect recipe for one of those nights where you have zero time to cook but want to eat something delicious. This recipe is super simple but it is packed with flavor and texture. This recipe was inspired by Salt&Lavender’s Thai Chicken Curry recipe and Live Eat Learn’s Crispy Tofu recipe.
Thai Curry Soup with Tofu
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Thai Curry Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 heaping tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3.5 ounces rice noodles
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- Generous handful fresh Thai basil torn
- Scallions chopped, to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
Crispy Tofu (see Note 1)
- 1 16-oz block extra-firm tofu (453 g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
How to Make It
- Add the olive oil and red bell pepper to a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and sauté for an additional few minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, and curry paste, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth, lime juice, and noodles. Increase heat to high and bring to a gentle boil.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Test to ensure the noodles are ready (it may vary depending on brand, but most rice noodles will be cooked by now).
- Stir in the basil and scallions. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately with an extra wedge of lime on the side if desired and crispy tofu added on top of the soup. The noodles will soak up more liquid the longer you leave the soup. I suggest adding more broth if you need to add more liquid.
Note 1: Before you start the recipe, begin preparing crispy tofu. First, press tofu for at least 30 minutes, by wrapping the block in paper towels and setting a heavy pan on top of it, to remove moisture. Cut tofu into small, even blocks and transfer to a bowl. Pour remaining ingredients over tofu and toss to coat. Let tofu marinate for 15 minutes. Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F. Add tofu to air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 10 minutes while soup is simmering, shaking pan occasionally to allow for even cooking.