I have always wanted to make penne alla vodka, since it is one of my favorite pasta dishes to order at a restaurant. I decided it was finally time to try it out and this recipe could not be easier! This recipe is inspired by Delish’s recipe for penne alla vodka.
Penne alla Vodka
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup pancetta, cubed
3 shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. tomato paste
2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 tbsp. vodka
1 lb. tubed pasta, such as penne or rigatoni
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
Basil, for serving
How to Make It
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add pancetta and cook until browned, then remove.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until paste has coated shallots and garlic and is beginning to darken, 5 minutes.
- Add vodka to pot and stir to incorporate, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Turn off heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water before draining.
- Return sauce to medium heat and add 1/4 cup of pasta water, heavy cream, and cooked pancetta, stirring to combine. Add half the Parmesan and stir until melted. Turn off heat and stir in cooked pasta. Fold in remaining Parmesan, adding more pasta water if the sauce is looking dry. Season with salt if needed. Serve topped with more Parmesan and torn basil leaves.