Pizza and penne alla vodka are two of my favorite foods of all time, so why not combine them!
Pizza Alla Vodka
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 cup warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour plus extra as needed
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp olive oil
Cornmeal for dusting
Sauce & Toppings
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup pancetta, cubed
3 shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. tomato paste
2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 tbsp. vodka
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan
Fresh sliced mozzarella
Basil, for serving
How to Make It
- Dough: Add sugar and yeast to warm water, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid becomes frothy.
- Pour the flour and salt into a bowl, add the yeast mixture, and mix until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix. Once blended, knead the dough until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Make dough into four balls and place in separate well-oiled bowls covered with plastic wrap for 1.5 hours.
- Vodka Sauce: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add pancetta and cook until browned, then remove.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until paste has coated shallots and garlic and is beginning to darken, 5 minutes.
- Add vodka to pot and stir to incorporate, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add 1/4 cup of water, heavy cream, and cooked pancetta, stirring to combine. Add half the Parmesan and stir until melted. Turn off heat and fold in remaining Parmesan, adding more water if the sauce is looking dry. Season with salt if needed.
- Pizza assembly: Preheat oven to 525°F.
- Cover surface with flour and roll out dough using a rolling pin into a 10 – 12 inch circle. Lightly dust the pizza peel with cornmeal and place rolled-out dough onto the pizza peel.
- Top with desired toppings. I add 1/2 cup vodka sauce and 5 large slices of fresh mozzarella cheese to each pizza along with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper and oregano.
- Bake for 5 – 8 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and crust is crispy. Repeat for remaining dough balls. Serve with fresh basil.