For those days you are craving pizza, save yourself some money and make your own thin crust pizza. By pulling together a few miscellaneous kitchen ingredients, you can turn a craving into a masterpiece. This recipe was inspired by the Big Green Egg.
Bell Pepper and Onion Pizza
Yield: 4-5 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 cup warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour plus extra as needed
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp olive oil
Cornmeal for dusting
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1.5 bell peppers
1/2 white onion
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
How to Make It
- Add sugar and yeast to warm water, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid becomes frothy.
- Pour the flour and salt into a bowl, add the yeast mixture, and mix until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix. Once blended, knead the dough until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Make dough into four balls and place in separate well-oiled bowls covered with plastic wrap for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 525°F.
- Cover surface with flour and roll out dough using a rolling pin into a 10 – 12 inch circle. Lightly dust the pizza peel with cornmeal and place rolled-out dough onto the pizza peel.
- Top with desired toppings. I add 1/4 cup pizza sauce, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, diced pepper, and sliced onion to each pizza along with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper and oregano.
- Bake for 5 – 8 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and crust is crispy. Repeat for remaining dough balls.