Eggplant, Sun-dried Tomato, and Roasted Garlic Calzones
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 cup warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour plus extra as needed
1 tsp table salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 head of garlic
2 eggplants, diced
2 cups ricotta
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, cut finely
Cornmeal for dusting
1 cup tomato sauce
How to Make It
- Add sugar and yeast to warm water, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid becomes frothy.
- Pour the flour and salt into a bowl, add the yeast mixture, and mix until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix. Once blended, knead the dough until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Make dough into 2 balls and place in separate well-oiled bowls covered with plastic wrap for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off the top of a garlic bulb and drizzle olive oil on top. Wrap in foil and put in the oven until slightly browned and soft.
- While garlic is roasting, add 2 tbsp oil into a pan over medium heat. Add diced eggplant and cook until soft.
- Mix ricotta, lemon zest, oregano, red pepper flakes, mozzarella, sun-dried tomato, roasted garlic, and pan-fried eggplant in a bowl. Set aside.
Making the Calzones
- Preheat oven to 525°F.
- Cover surface with flour and roll out dough using a rolling pin into a 10 – 12 inch circle. Lightly dust the pan with cornmeal and place rolled-out dough onto the pan.
- Add half of filling mixture to each of the doughs and fold over to form the calzone. Bake until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. Serve immediately with warm tomato sauce.