I love making shrimp, but I can never cook it right. This recipe is incredibly quick and easy, and is based off of Gimme Delicious’s Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Cabbage Slaw recipe.
Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 lime juiced
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 6-8 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Spicy mayo (see Note 1)
How to Make It
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, taco seasoning, and salt until the shrimp is fully coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the panko breadcrumbs and flour in separate bowls. Heat about ½ cup of oil in a large heavy duty pan over medium high heat.
- Dip shrimp into the flour then into the eggs then into the panko breadcrumbs. Transfer to hot oil and fry 2 minutes per side. Remove from oil onto a paper towel lined plate.
- To make the cabbage slaw: Combine all the ingredients for the slaw in a large bowl until mixed through.
- To Assemble: Char corn or flour tortillas on the stove top over an open flame (if you have an electric oven, simply heat them up in a pan until warmed through) this is an optional step.
- Place tortillas on a plate and add shredded cabbage to the tortillas along with 3-4 shrimp, a few slices of avocado, and a drizzle of spicy mayo, cilantro lime sauce, or sour cream.
Note 1: Instead of spicy mayo, I mix 1/2 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo and 3 tbsp Greek yogurt as a topping.